Obamacare – through the language of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) – created a political army … at taxpayers’ expense.
This army was designed to organize, mobilize, register people to vote … and help transform politics in our culture.
It consists of people called navigators…
Under Obamacare, navigators are paid with federal taxpayer dollars to help people sign up to buy individual health insurance on the federal exchange.
But it turns out that many of these navigators belong to nonprofit groups and government groups that were political allies of the Obama administration.
These organizations use the government funds they are given to promote their political and ideological agenda:
- They create databases
- They create political alliances
- They conduct voter registration drives
- They organize and support “get out the vote” campaigns
I was at Echo Park in Los Angeles several years ago … where I noticed an Obamacare booth.
When I walked up to the booth, I wasn’t asked if I was signed up for Obamacare … I was asked if I was registered to vote.
Who are the groups that are misusing taxpayer dollars allocated for Obamacare enrollment … and conducting political activities instead?
Here’s a partial list:
- The Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
- The American Federation of Labor/Congress of Industrial Organization (AFL/CIO)
- The Actors Fund
- Planned Parenthood
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- The Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights
- Community organization/Voter registration
Last year the Trump administration reduced funding of the navigators by 40% — from $62.5 million to $36 million.
And just last month the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) cut navigator funding again – to $10 million for the November 1st to December 15th enrollment period for 2019 policies.
The reaction from the progressives has been intense…
Words like “immoral” and “cold-hearted” have been thrown at the president.
Here are 4 things you should know about the navigator funding cuts that the media and the progressive politicians will never tell you:
- The attacks on President Trump for the funding cuts are coming from the Deep State.
Deep State politicians are ideologically driven to maintain their power and influence no matter what the cost is to taxpayers.
The progressives don’t really care about the funding cuts reducing the number of Obamacare policyholders…
What they do care about is having to curtail the political activities of the navigator groups.
The number of Obamacare policyholders is a function of the cost of premiums and the quantity of their federal subsidy – not the number of available navigators.
- Health insurance experts say the reduction of in-person navigator assistance in the federal marketplace is unlikely to be a disaster for people seeking coverage.
A senior vice president with the Bipartisan Policy Center in Washington: “I think alone it will have a very small impact on enrollment for 2019.”
A spokesman for the Society of Actuaries says the role of navigators has been overstated by politicians and the press.
Now that the healthcare.gov web site is functioning properly, the need for navigators is much less than it was previously.
- Covered California is maintaining its $6.5 million taxpayer budget on its own navigator funding.
California will waste the same quantity of taxpayer dollars on progressive navigator groups for 2019 Obamacare enrollments as it did last year.
This is more than half what the Trump administration is spending on navigator funding in 34 states.
Here are some of the organizations spending Obamacare enrollment funds on progressive political activities in California:
- The East LA Community Corporation
- The California Council of Churches
- The L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center
- After last year’s 40% navigator funding cut, overall enrollment in Obamacare plans increased slightly – to 10.6 million policyholders.
This fact alone negates the “immoral” and “cold-hearted” characterizations of President Trump…
Florida Blue – one of the top enrollers of Obamacare purchasers nationwide – said it won’t miss the help of federal navigators.
“…we do not depend on navigators to enroll ACA members,” said a Florida Blue spokesman.
What do you think? Write me at [email protected]