This Election 2018 Orange County Voter Guide will help you cut through the rhetoric, election propaganda and biased media coverage of the campaigns. This guide ranks every aspect of a candidate’s record according to experience, integrity and commitment to community.
Here you’ll find recommendations for:
- California Supreme Court
- Orange County, Superior Court Judge, Office No. 15
- Justice, California State Court of Appeal; Fourth District
- U.S. Representative
- U.S. Senator
- State Controller
- Treasurer; California
- State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Attorney General; California
- Judges (Click here to learn more)
- And More!
Scroll down for our recommendations.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Huey Report for updates on critical issues, trends and policies affecting our freedoms and are impacting our economy, legislation, culture and election results.
Do you live in another county? Go to the list of counties here.
Let’s get started.
Every candidate is considered after thorough research; we also have a questionnaire for candidates to complete.
Here is our rating system:
- : The best candidate. Our strongest endorsement.
- : Very good.
- : Acceptable.
- Vote only to prevent worse candidate(s) from winning.
- : Terrible. Do Not Vote. All your other votes will count.
June 5th, 2018 Primary Election Recommendations
California Supreme Court (Yes/No)
• Carol Corrigan: 8 (JI: 7, Q: 8) Yes
• Leondra Kruger: 3 (JI: 3, Q: 3) No
Orange County, Superior Court Judge, Office No. 15
• M. Marc Kelly: 8 (JI: 7, Q: 8) Recommend as the lesser of two evils
• Lenore Albert Sheridan: 5 (JI: 3, Q: 6) Do not recommend
Justice, California State Court of Appeal; Fourth District
• Raymond Ikola: 8 (JI: 7, Q: 8) Yes
• Douglas Miller: 8 (JI: 8, Q: 8) Yes
• Jeffrey King: 7 (JI: 5, Q: 7) No
• Art McKinster: 8 (JI: 8, Q: 8) Yes
• Joan Irion: 7 (JI: 6, Q: 8) No
• Cynthia Aaron: 7 (JI: 5, Q: 9) No
• Judith Haller: 8 (JI: 8, Q: 8) Yes
• Richard Huffman: 9 (JI: 9, Q: 9) Yes
• Patricia Benke: 9 (JI: 9, Q: 8) Yes
• Marsha Slough: 4 (JI: 3, Q: 5) No
U.S. Representative, 39th District
- Phil Liberatore (R): Recommend
- Jay Chen (D): Do Not Recommend
- Bob Huff (R): Do Not Recommend
- Ted Rusk (D): Do Not Recommend
- Andrew Sarega (R): Do Not Recommend
U.S. Representative, 47th District
- John Briscoe (R): Recommend
- David Michael Clifford (R): Do Not Recommend
- Alan Lowenthal (D): Do Not Recommend
- John Estrada (R): Recommend
- Dianne Feinstein (D): Do Not Recommend
- Kevin de Leon (D): Do Not Recommend
- Erin Cruz (R): Do Not Recommend
- Konstantinos Roditis (R): Recommend
- Betty Yee (D): Do Not Recommend
- Jack M. Guerrero (R): Recommend
- Fiona Ma (D): Do not recommend
- Vivek Viswanathan (D): Do Not Recommend
- Kevin Akin (Peace and Freedom): Do Not Recommend
- Mike Gatto (D): Do Not Recommend
State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Karen Blake (I): Recommend
Overall Rating: 6
Qualifications Rating: 3
Educational Philosophy Rating: 8
- Douglas Vigil (I): Do Not Recommend
Overall Rating: 2
Qualifications Rating: 1
Educational Philosophy Rating: 4
- Lily Ploski (I): Do Not Recommend
Overall Rating: 5
Qualifications Rating: 6
Educational Philosophy Rating: 5
- Tony Thurmond (D): Do Not Recommend
Overall Rating: 3
Educational Philosophy: 1
- Marshall Tuck (D): Do Not Recommend
Overall Rating: 5
Educational Philosophy: 5
Attorney General; California
- Steven Bailey (R): 7 (JI: 8, Q: 6) Recommend
- Xavier Becerra (D): 6 (JI: 4, Q: 7) Do Not Recommend
- Eric Early (R): 6 (JI: 6, Q: 6) Do Not Recommend
- Dave Jones (D): 6 (JI: 4, Q: 7) Do Not Recommend