Socialism just doesn’t work … in fact, it’s destructive.
- It puts the government in charge of your life, robbing you of choice, freedom and opportunity.
- It destroys incentive, innovation and creativity.
- It kills jobs, income and economic growth except for the elitists and bureaucrats.
When the failures of socialism are pointed out, progressive liberals reply: “Socialism would work if it were only done right.”
That’s like saying, this car would run great … if only it had an engine and four wheels.
Take the failures of socialism with Venezuela.
With its crippled economy, infrastructure and inability to feed its people, Venezuela is a great example of “that car.”
Speaking of socialism at his UN speech, President Trump said, “The corrupt regime imposes a failed ideology that produces poverty and misery wherever it is tried.
About Venezuela’s socialistic dictator Nicolas Maduro, he said:
“He has defied his own people, stealing power from their elected representatives to preserve his disastrous rule.”
Under socialism, the once-thriving nation of Venezuela is now on the brink of total collapse.
Under 18 years of socialism, Venezuela’s vast oil riches have not been able to pull the country out of poverty.
People are starving, except the military, police, bureaucrats and political leaders.
The country’s democratic institutions have been steadily eroded by a dictator’s power grab toward totalitarianism – typical of socialistic governments centralizing power and control.
Maduro has inflicted terrible pain and suffering on the good people of that country.
Trump said it well:
“Wherever true socialism or communism has been implemented, it has delivered anguish and devastation and failure. And socialism has been faithfully implemented in Venezuela.”
Consider the economic chaos in Greece: massive layoffs, high unemployment, failed pension systems, bank freezes, and rioting in the streets.
And yet, in America, we have moved more towards socialism under Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and other politicians.
Socialism, by its very nature, creates poverty, stagnation and oppression. It can never replace a vibrant free enterprise system.
- A strong—unresponsive—federal government. This is contrary to liberty and free enterprise.
- An inefficient and ineffective bureaucracy. For example, the United States Post Office faces a crushing $102 billion debt; Veterans Administration Hospitals, where patients have died on secret waiting lists; a Department of Education, where states are required to comply with overbearing mandates and regulations in order to receive federal funding.
- The death of innovation and progress. There’s a new cancer drug just announced that would never have come out if not for free enterprise and the profit motive.
- A redistribution of wealth rather than creating more wealth, along with innovation and jobs.
Socialism has a history of failure: Nazism (National Socialism) in Germany; Fascism in Italy; Communism in Russia; and ongoing financial ruination through entitlements in many European countries.
And now in Venezuela.
As Lord Acton said: Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Socialism is evil. The President calls out the evil.
Watch President Trump’s powerful comments on the failures of socialism in this 4-minute video.
What do you think? Write me at [email protected]