The Nanny State…
These terms best describe governments that abuse freedom of choice … and that restrict and limit religious freedom and economic freedom.
When governments restrict individual freedoms:
- Economic opportunity is stifled
- Everyone – especially the middle class and the poor – is impacted by higher costs and fewer choices
Ranked from #1 for allowing the most freedom to #50 for allowing the least freedom, here are the bottom 10 – the worst – state governments that offer the least freedom and opportunity to its citizens:
- New York
47. New Jersey
42. Rhode Island
41. New Mexico
And here are the top 10 states allowing the most freedom and opportunity:
- New Hampshire
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
More than 230 policy variables covering a broad range of categories – including taxation, debt, eminent domain laws, occupational licensing, drug policies and educational choices, to name just a few – were evaluated, weighted and combined to come up with the overall rankings.
For example, California scored poor on fiscal and regulatory policies, taxation, and economic freedom – contributing to its horrific ranking of #48.
Other notations about California’s ranking:
- It’s the poorest state in the nation – due primarily to its high cost of housing.
- It’s the “most cronyist state” in the nation – largely due to its “extensive and strict” occupational licensing requirements.
- It’s one of the worst states on land-use freedom.
You can watch a short video about the rankings (2 ½ minutes) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=jA3a2vWgS9w
You can see the full report here: https://www.freedominthe50states.org/
What do you think? Write me at [email protected]