It’s historic – and long overdue…
Criminal justice reform has begun … and a much-needed, more fair system is becoming a reality.
It’s especially significant to the Black community, which has been unfairly hurt, their futures destroyed, and their families turned against.
And it’s a major accomplishment for the Trump administration, considering that:
- President Trump’s goals and agenda have been opposed by Democrats and by never-Trump Republicans since before he was elected.
- For decades, the federal government has done nothing to reform its criminal justice system and reduce recidivism and the federal prison population.
It’s called the FIRST STEP Act.
This law will:
- Ban the shackling of pregnant female inmates in federal prisons
- Expand reentry and job training opportunities for federal inmates
- Require inmates to be incarcerated within 500 miles of their families when possible
- Reduce some mandatory minimum sentences
- Expand judges’ discretion under the “safety valve”
- Make the reductions in crack cocaine sentences under the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010 apply retroactively
The last provision above will result in reduced sentences for about 3,000 crack cocaine offenders currently in federal prisons.
In last year’s state of the union address, President Trump announced his administration would work on “reforming our prisons to help former inmates who have served their time get a second chance.”
President Trump endorsed the legislation after the midterm elections last November. The compromise bill was supported by a wide coalition of conservative, libertarian, evangelical, liberal and criminal justice groups.
Watch this interview of Pat Nolan – former California State Assemblyman and now author with Chuck Colson’s Prison Fellowship – talking about criminal justice reform (11 ½ minutes).
Watch this video of CNN’s socialist commentator Van Jones praising President Trump for bringing together a coalition of Republicans and Democrats in the Senate to pass the FIRST STEP Act by an overwhelming margin of 87-12
What do you think? Email me at [email protected]
Here are the rest of this week’s articles:
- Exposed: Under-the-Radar Deep State Election Stealing by Manipulating the 2020 Census: 7 Things They Don’t Want You to Know
- Why Free College Is a Big Mistake: 4 Surprising Reasons the Politicians and Media Won’t Tell You
- Water Shortages and Droughts: 4 Surprising Things You Should Know
- Disturbing: Murder of Full-Term Unborn Children Legalized [Videos]