Nationwide, progressives of all stripes are pushing for free community college tuition.
It sounds great – on the surface. And voters seem to love the idea.
But it’s a terrible idea.
Here are 4 consequences of free college tuition you will never hear from the progressive media or from socialist-leaning politicians:
- Providing free community college tuition will increase the demand for community college education.
This sounds like a good thing … until you consider the unintended consequences.
Whenever anything is offered for free, demand for it skyrockets. This will result in several unplanned-for consequences:
- Classes will become overcrowded
- More teachers will need to be hired
- More taxpayer funding and government subsidies will be needed
- Providing free tuition will attract less serious and less qualified students.
With the increased enrollment in community colleges, students who aren’t prepared for college educationally will apply.
Dropout rates will increase … graduation rates will decrease.
For example, only 30% of California community college students graduate or transfer to a 4-year college within 6 years of enrolling. And this low percentage is without free tuition.
- Providing free services reduces the quality of those services.
When demand for a service increases but cost of the service remains the same, quality decreases.
When class sizes increase … and the range of student knowledge and preparedness also increases:
- Teachers must teach to a lower level
- Teachers have more papers to grade
- Educational quality goes down
- Offering free tuition will encourage waste and inefficiency in already-bloated state higher education bureaucracies.
With greater enrollment in community colleges will come greater state government subsidies.
Community college districts will be tempted to spend the additional funds on themselves rather on students.
One California community college district receives $17,000 to educate each student. But much of that money is diverted to administrative staff…
While enrollment was declining between 2012 and 2017, the district hired 23 additional administrators.
What do you think? Email me at [email protected]
Here are the rest of this week’s articles:
- Exposed: Under-the-Radar Deep State Election Stealing by Manipulating the 2020 Census: 7 Things They Don’t Want You to Know
- Water Shortages and Droughts: 4 Surprising Things You Should Know
- Amazing! Criminal Justice Reform at Last [Videos]
- Disturbing: Murder of Full-Term Unborn Children Legalized [Videos]